Karen Gavigan will be our guest on the Librarian.Support real time session. Join us Tuesday April 7th at 9 am Eastern Time.
Topics may include: Graphic novels in youth and school library services, use of primary materials in the classroom.
Gavigan is a professor at the University of South Carolina School of Library and Information Science. Her research interests include the use of graphic novels and other resources in K-12 libraries and classrooms. She has also conducted research regarding school library issues such as the instructional role of the school librarian.
Using Graphic Novels across the Curriculum
A Selective Bibliography of Resources for Librarians and Teachers
Karen Gavigan, University of South Carolina, School of Library and Information Science
- Bakis, Maureen. The Graphic Novel Classroom: Powerful Teaching and Learning with Images. Skyhorse Publishing, Reprint, 2014.
- Bitz, M. When Commas Meet Kryptonite: Classroom Lessons from the Comic Book Project. New York: Teacher’s College Press, Columbia University, 2010.
- Brozo, William G, Gary B. Moorman, and Carla K. Meyer. Wham! Teaching with Graphic Novels Across the Curriculum., 2014.
- Elder, Joshua, and Chris Giarrusso. Reading with Pictures: Comics That Make Kids Smarter! 2014.
- Frey, N. & Fisher D. Teaching Visual Literacy: Using Comic Books, Graphic Novels, Anime, Cartoons, and More to Develop Comprehension and Thinking Skills. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, 2008.
- Gavigan, K.W. & Tomasevich, M. Connecting Comics to Curriculum: Strategies for Grades 6-12. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited, 2011.
- McCloud, Scott. Understanding Comics: [the Invisible Art]. New York: HarperPerennial, 1994.
- Monnin, Katie. Teaching Graphic Novels: Practical Strategies for the Secondary ELA Classroom. Gainesville, FL: Maupin House, 2010.
- Monnin, Katie. Teaching Reading Comprehension with Graphic Texts: An Illustrated Adventure. Gainesville, FL: Maupin House. 2013.
Association for Library Services for Children
Comics in Education
Comics in the Classroom
Graphic Novel Resources
Great Graphic Novels for Teens – YALSA
My Comic Shop – Browse by Graphic Novel Publisher
No Flying! No Tights!
Reading with Pictures
*Many publishers / vendors provide helpful information about graphic novels on their websites.
- Booklist and Book Links
- Horn Book
- ICv2 (http://icv2.com)
- Library Journal
- School Library Connection
- Publishers’ Weekly
- School Library Journal
- VOYA (Voice of Youth Advocates)
Free Comic Book Day is the first Saturday in May – http://www.freecomicbookday.com